Abstract design and composition in watercolor.
This class is for those wanting to design better compositions when painting. It is for those with some experience in watercolor but applies to any medium.
Understanding abstract design helps you to take better photographs for painting, compose better paintings from the beginning and understand when a painting doesn’t “work” there is usually an underlying design principle that is off kilter. The focus of the class will be different design schemes and different ways to start an abstract.
Current session is 4 bi-weekly: Mondays: Oct 4, Oct 18, Nov 1, Nov 15
1-4pm or 6:30-9:30pm
In this class we will cover:
- 7 Elements and 8 principles
- 6 Value patterns
- Limited color choices, knowing your preferences.
- Creating a series.
- Design schemes: high/low horizon, pyramidal, cruciform, spiral, bridge, and frame in frame. Recognizing them and composing within these frameworks. There are many more.
- Starts: different ways to begin: spontaneous or planned, deconstructing images. Finding your preferences.
- “Mark making” exploration
- Layering for depth.